Monday, November 14, 2011

Calm before the storm

Winter is definitely coming, but we got a small reprieve with some truly excellent weather. Didn't even need a jacket or gloves today.  I saw the beautiful clouds and the relatively smooth ocean water, and made myself stop to take a photo. The seagull in midflight and small duck at the tip of the rock outcrop were bonuses.

DSCF0395.jpg

I saw some really amazing tiny ferns when parking my bike and had to make a quick texture study. I love the delicate pinks, yellows, and oranges in them.

DSCF0002.jpg

At the national museum of Iceland. I really liked the stain glass, the texture of the walls on both sides, the greenish lights on the upper edges, and the smooth tile texture.

DSCF0280.jpg

Just outside my Icelandic class. I really liked the early dawn dimness, the bright orange light and the green plants. Something somber about it, and the tree on the left edge keeps you pulled in to the right side.

DSCF0358.jpg

Biking to delivery my baked goods, the day was really beautiful. I like the height of this building, the reflection from the sky in the glass, and the wet sidewalk in the bottom right.

DSCF0397.jpg

This one just got me with it's simplicity. The grass was so pleasantly blowing in the wind, and the leafless bushes breaking the horizon line were interesting too.

DSCF0401.jpg

I liked seeing this Icelandic family enjoying the day at the park. If you look at the full res, the woman is photographing the boy with an iphone, and the two children are off playing on their own.

DSCF0406.jpg

There is so much amazing architecture in Iceland. I really love this apartment building.

DSCF0408.jpg

I think this last one is my favorite from the photowalk, though my husband hates it (he hates anything with visible garbage). I like the one green light, the one orange light, and the relatively neutral ambient that lights everything enough to show just how green and orange these lights are. The texture of the overhang along with the green glow on it, and the mottled wetness of the sidewalk in front. There is just so much nice stuff going on. I even love the mattress poking in on the right side, and the brown bars behind it echoing the brown doors of the center.

DSCF0409.jpg

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh! What a breathtaking sight! It's so refreshing and calm in Iceland. It's "oh so quiet", as Bjork says.. Hehe! I'm also amazed with their architecture, especially their church. This building looks nice.

    Chantay Smithingell

    ReplyDelete