Tuesday, September 13, 2011

four images

Walking home the other night, I took a few night shots. I love how things look at night, maybe more than during the day sometimes. In this image, I liked the blue and greens of the interior lights, with the structure of the building, the bricks in the front, and the very subtle leaf shadows on the building above the glass. In the post processing I removed all the orange hues from the sodium vapor lights, so it would just be a nice neutral white, with the blues. This is at ISO 3200. A bit of noise, but nothing I'm unhappy with.

DSCF1039.jpg

This one went a bit dark at the top, but it was a balance of losing detail in the walkway in the center, with the fact the sky was just a sea of noise. I liked the composition of different lines receding with orange in the middle. Also the yellow concrete plugs in the foreground added interest. It's quiet, boring, and somber, just how I like my night walks.

DSCF1040.jpg

Walking by Harpa, I wanted to capture the LED lights in the glass panels. They are the white vertical lines in the glass structures of the facade. They slowly fade on and off in a random pattern. I like the sharpness of the honeycomb structure, the car silhouette toward the bottom of harpa, and the dim but discernable street with it's painted lines and rocky median strip.

DSCF1046.jpg

And one daylit shot. I absolutely love how the X100 records greens, especially when they are leaves being backlit. There is just a perfect glow and nuance to the shades of green, it makes me so happy. The reddish bushes at the base of the trees, and the blue plastic framing it on the outsides, is what made me want to capture this.

As a compositional note. I tried capturing this from the sidewalk on the far side, and the subject (the center bush) was too small in the frame of blue paneling. I went to the safety of the median, and retook, but now it was too large and bulged out of it's "frame". I knew if I wanted the composition that grabbed me from my bicycle as I was riding by, I had to take it from the middle of the street. I watched for cars and timed it, and got the frame.

Back at the computer I could see the too small, then too large, then just right framing, and was convinced I'd been right in the distance. This is something I love about the 35mm fixed lens, it's forcing me to think about this kind of framing and spatial relationships, and forcing me to move with my feet to get the shot.

DSCF1071.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment